August 10th, 2018 : Student/Parent Internship Overview Meeting. The following forms are to be completed and turned in with registration paperwork
- Co-Op/Internship Education Agreement
- Cooperative/Internship Education Student Agreement
- Centra Packet(Demographics Form, Behavior Form and Parent Permission Form), Centra Media Release Form
September – November: Mrs. Cash talks with individual students, intern placements are finalized, paperwork signed on case by case basis.
September 14th, 2018: Draft Resume due to Mrs. Cash to review.
October 12th, 2018: Final Resume due to Mrs. Cash
November 2nd, 2018: Centra final date to complete missing information on Centra forms and provide proof of negative TB test, proof of flu shot and immunization records (if this is not done the student will be removed from the Centra Intern List). Centra online orientation instruction details emailed to eligible students
November 20th, 2018 : Completed CVCC Internship packet due to Mrs. Cash (spring class schedule, two instructor recommendations)
December 7th, 2018: Signed Learning Agreement due to Mrs. Cash
January 9th, 2019: Internship begins! Report DIRECTLY to your Internship Location
February, March & April, 2018: Assigned faculty visit the interns on site at internship locations
April 24th, 2019: Last day of internships! Some interns have presentations at the sponsor location.
May 1st, 2019: Presentation day!
May 6th, 2019 : Final Internship paperwork due: attendance log, Reflection paper, evaluations
CVCC requires 60 hours to earn your college credit. You will need to complete a minimum of 3.75 hours each week to meet this 60 hour requirement. You will be responsible for scheduling your exact hours with your mentor during your 16 week internship experience.
The purpose of the XLR8 internship program is to engage students in meaningful learning activities in the workplace focusing on science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM careers). Each XLR8 senior will be assigned a mentor or mentors and will have 16 Wednesday mornings (60 contact hours) of activities or assigned projects. Sponsor organizations represent engineering, laboratory, government, education and medical partners within Virginia’s Region 2000. The internship experience is integral to the XLR8 program.
Intern Expectations are to:
• Attend all 16 internship dates during scheduled times
• Provide transportation to and from the sponsor’s site.
• Respect the confidentiality of the organization.
• Provide the mentor with a resume at the first meeting.
• Report to designated area on time.
• Contact mentor and XLR8 if he/she is unable to report.
• Perform only specified activities outlined by the XLR8 administration.
• Stay with the mentor or assigned person at all times.
• Be neatly groomed and wear appropriate attire.
• Be conscious of job safety at all times.
• Get parent permission forms signed if drug testing is required.
• Deliver all required internship paperwork and assignments on time.
The mentor will:
• Meet with the XLR8 administration to design specific objectives and activities for the intern
• Meet the intern each morning at the designated area.
• Insure that the intern is under supervision of an adult at all times.
• Encourage the intern to develop problem-solving skills and to develop independence.
• Explain safety precautions to the intern.
• Provide a beneficial experience for the intern.
• Communicate with XLR8 about the intern’s progress.
• Complete the evaluation of the internship program.