Students can apply to the XLR8 STEM Academy in the spring of their sophomore year. Interested students can download an application, teacher recommendation form and counselor form from this website or obtain them from their school counseling office.
Applications are reviewed by the XLR8 STEM Academy selection committee, which includes a representative from each school division as well as representatives from local business and industry. The Selection committee will meet to determine which students will be offered acceptance for the following year. Selection is based upon: quality of application content, attendance, discipline, academic achievement, as well as teacher and counselor recommendations.
XLR8 STEM Academy Informational Flyer/Profile Sheet
Information Session for Prospective Students & Parents
An evening open house will be held in January or February each year.
Please check with your school counselor or check back here for dates and times
Scheduled for February 9th, 2017 (Snow Date February 16th, 2017)
Time : 6:00-8:00 pm
How to apply
1. Discuss the opportunity with your parents and school counselor
2. Attend an open house with your parents
3. Fill out the application form and return it to your school counselor. For your convenience a copy of the application is available HERE. You may print out the application and complete it by hand or you can fill out the application on the computer and print it out to include in your application packet.
4. Ask your school counselor to complete the Counselor Form. For your convenience a copy of the counselor form is available HERE. Your school counselor can complete the form online and print it out to include in the application packet.
5. Ask three of your teachers (1 math teacher, 1 science teacher and 1 other teacher) to write recommendations for you using the form provided. For your convenience, a copy of the teacher recommendation form is available HERE. You may print it out to give to your teachers or let them know how to access the form from the website to complete, print out and return to the school counselor.
6. Take the CVCC Placement test in MATH and ENGLISH and include the results in your application packet. Your school counselor or CVCC Career Coach will have information about specific dates and times. Please note you MUST apply to CVCC before taking the test. Click HERE for additional information.
7. Make sure the application, counselor form, and three recommendation forms are completed and in the hands of your school counselor by the application deadline.
- Incomplete applications will be returned to student’s counselor to review & resubmit.
- Applications should be forwarded to the Academy as soon as they are completed.
- A waiting list is maintained for oversubscribed courses.
Admission Time Schedule
- April 1st– All applications due to the STEM Academy
- May 1st- Official notification of acceptance to school counselors and student’s home