Computer Science is an interesting and rewarding career pathway. Computers are involved in many aspects of daily life and across all types of business and industry.
Some of the reasons WHY you should consider the Computer Science Pathway are listed below:
• In 2011, Computer Science and Computer Engineering jobs ranked in the top five for average starting salary offers among college graduates, with offers averaging $60,594, according to CNNMoney.
• Salaries in Computer Science and Engineering related fields increased 4.1% from 2010 and from 1990-2007 offers to CS majors rose 15 percent. The median annual pay for computer science occupations is $76,000 per year.
• The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the IT workforce to grow at more than twice the rate of the overall workforce from 2006-2016.
• The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that of the top six fastest growing occupations, three are computer science-related jobs, such as computer software engineers, systems analysts, and network systems and data communication analysts.
• Computer Science grads work in a variety of different areas, such as the arts, fashion, film, healthcare, Internet development, homeland and military security, music, space exploration, transportation, robotics, virtual reality, gaming, and more!
• People employed in full-time computer science related careers enjoy job flexibility and reasonable work hours for a healthy work/life balance.
Examples of Computer Science Activities:
• Help to develop software for “Smart Houses”
• Write a program for a video game
• Create clothing that aids blind people in navigating their environment
• Write software for cochlear implants the let deaf people hear
• Program a Robot to make repairs to equipment
• Writing programs for companies which are secure and help improve their business
• Helping to map human genomes
• Develop secure operating systems for online shopping sites to prevent identity theft
• Develop software for new Apps for download